Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Practice Policy – How we can help you!
- We aim to promote good health and encourage prevention of disease
- We offer facilities for ante-natal care, family planning, asthma, diabetic and heart clinics, smoking and travel advice including travel vaccines.
- We will treat you with courtesy and respect.
- We will maintain appropriate medical records, and respect your right of access to them.
- Your doctor will discuss your condition with you and explain the reasons for any investigations, treatment or referral. (S)he will explain the main purpose of any prescribed medication for you and will tell you about any significant common side effects.
- We will review your repeat medication at least once a year; if you wish to discuss any aspect of this we will be please to do so.
- Whenever possible we will give you at least 24 hours notice of any surgery or clinic cancellation.
- We will try to see you as close to your appointment time as possible. We will always try to offer an explanation if your appointment is significantly delayed.
How can you help us?
- Please notify the reception staff of any change of name and/or address or new telephone number.
- Remember to cancel any appointments with the doctor or nurse if you are unable to attend.
- Try not to save up all your problems for one appointment; if you require a longer appointment please ask when booking.
- Please make one appointment per person. A doctor cannot see a whole family in one consultation.
- Examination and treatment facilities are better at the surgery, please do not ask for a home visit unless absolutely necessary for medical reasons.
- Don’t expect a prescription every time you see the doctor, sometimes a different sort of treatment – or no treatment at all, is more appropriate.
- Remember the out of hours service is for urgent problems only. Please do not contact the emergency doctor for a second opinion or for anything that wait until the next working day.
- Never share your medicines with anybody else, even if they seem to have the same problem as you – it could be dangerous.
- Please let us know if you find any difficulties with the practice. We appreciate the opportunity to put things right.